Detox, yogic diet or just eat healthy
Since I came back from Greece, my body was asking me for a detox. I love Greece. The people, the food, the coffee, the islands, everything. But too much food (specially dairy) was not so good for me. I needed to clean my body. I started to read the book “Clean” by Alejandro Junger to get some motivation and recipe ideas but I can’t do the proper detox he recommends in the book, as I am still breastfeeding.
To detox or not to detox? Juice fasting? Water fasting? Yogi diet? There are so many trends nowdays that, like me, you can feel a bit lost with so many super foods, cleanses, collonics, etc.. on the market. A yogi diet is simple, vegetarian and rich in nutrients. If you know me, you know that I love nutrition, holistic health and I don’t eat meat since 2011. So, combining everything I know and what feels good to me, to my body and mind, I am sharing with you how is my “detox week” to feel cleaner and healthier.
This is what I’m trying to do:
- Avoid dairy (Instead I drink almond or rice milk).
- Avoid coffee (no more than 3 cappuccinos per week).
- No processed or canned food.
- No sugar.
- No tomatoes (they are very acidic and allergenic).
- No meat (I eat eggs and fish).
- Lots of vegetables and fresh fruits from the local market.
- Drink lots of water, including my usual hot water with lemon and ginger first thing in the morning.
- One green smoothie a day with my favorite superfoods: chia seeds, flax seeds, chlorella, moringa.
- Whole grains (if possible gluten free), legumes.
- Oil pulling first thing in the morning.
- Meditation (Detox my mind, clears my brain).
- Use organic cosmetics.
- Sleep siestas when I can.
Other ideas that might help:
And here are some charts with foods to detox: